NM Certified Wastewater Operator IV
Manages wastewater treatment facility in Las Vegas, NM; provides general direction and oversight; provides quality assurance and quality control; supervises and coordinates wastewater and reclaimed water production and treatment, collection system activities and operations; coordinates assigned activities with other divisions and facilities; connects to and maintains relationships with outside agencies and the general public; and provides highly responsible and complex staff assistance. The incumbent is guided by policies and assignments received by the Operations Director, and is carried out with a high degree of independent judgment in accomplishing work and developing new programs and is held accountable for results.
- Oversee wastewater treatment plant operations including all equipment, instrumentation, laboratory analysis and safety. Coordinate and integrate wastewater treatment plant operations, process control and maintenance functions.
- Create, direct, coordinate and review the work plan and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for assigned plant operations services and activities; assign work activities and projects; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures; meet with staff to identify and resolve problems.
- Prepare monthly compliance reports to the Client and/or Permitting Agency; oversee software programs that generate technical reports on water quality; troubleshoot and change spread sheets as required; review permit requirements on a regular schedule.
- Prepare, assign and track progress on facility tasks, maintenance, repairs and work orders.
- Purchase all chemicals used in wastewater treatment process; set up annual contracts with chemical suppliers.
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate plant operations and laboratory personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
- Participate in the development and administration of assigned program budget; forecast funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures; recommend adjustments as necessary.
- Participate on a variety of committees; prepare and present staff reports and other correspondence as appropriate and necessary.
- Coordinate operations activities with those of other divisions and outside agencies and organizations.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of wastewater treatment operations.
- Performs other duties as required.
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
- High school diploma or GED.
- New Mexico Level IV Wastewater Certification.
- Six or more years’ experience in operating wastewater treatment plants and collection systems including three years of administrative and/or lead supervisory experience (Level III). One year of experience with Biological Nutrient Removal system is desirable.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 40 pounds.
- Ability to pass a general physical exam.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in chemistry, biology, environmental sciences or a related field OR exceptional industry experience may be considered in lieu of education requirement.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods, and tools employed in the general operation of engines, pumps, valves, motors, and related equipment; general maintenance work; safe work practices;
- Principles and methods of biological and chemical sewage analyses, effects and problems of industrial waste in water/wastewater treatment processes, supervision of multiple employees.
- Proficient in use of computer software including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, data management systems and be able to operate plant PLCs and SCADA systems.
- Possess a valid Class A or Class B CDL with no major infractions in the last 3 years.
- Must have general knowledge of heavy equipment operation such as but not limited to: Backhoe, Loader, and Farm Tractors.
License or Certificate:
New Mexico Level IV certification in Wastewater.