WWM Plant Superintendent
Recruitment Announcement # 2018- 273
POSITION TITLE WWM Plant Superintendent SALARY RANGE: $25.937-46.231(N)
DEPARTMENT Public Utilities FLSA/UNION STATUS: Exempt/Nonunion
PERIOD TO APPLY: 3/30/2018-4/30/2018 POSITION STATUS: Classified/Full-Time
SUPERVISOR: Shannon Jones LOCATION: Wastewater
Performs organizational and supervisory duties regarding the activities of the Wastewater Treatment Plant Section.
Works under the general guidance and direction of Department or Division head.
Oversees operations and maintenance employees of the City’s wastewater plant.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (A position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all duties, which may be found in a position of this class).
- Reviews wastewater plant operation needs; oversees inspections or plant process equipment; supervises repairs on process equipment, pumps, electrical motors, vehicles, structures and grounds for proper operations of plant facilities.
- Ensures compliance with established testing procedures; in emergency situations may be called upon to operate a variety of plant equipment.
- Plans, assigns, supervises and inspects work of employees in the operations and maintenance of the City’s wastewater plant.
- Performs variety of administrative tasks including budget preparation, operational reports, and management of assigned financial, personnel and other resources.
- Coordinates training to section personnel; evaluates need for and recommends additional section facilities, equipment, resources and staffing.
- Interacts with State and Federal regulatory agencies to maintain compliance with applicable regulations and standards
Performs related duties as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
An associate’s degree in wastewater treatment technology, engineering, or related field;
Six (6) years experience in wastewater plant operations providing extensive knowledge of biological processes, equipment, tools, physical operations, and methods used in inspecting, cleaning, operating, and maintaining a wastewater plant. Six (6) years of supervisory experience preferred.
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety practices in the Wastewater Operations/Sewer Maintenance field;
- Working knowledge of the principles and application of supervisory techniques;
- Working knowledge and training in basic laboratory techniques and familiarity with biological processes involved in treatment plant operation.
- Skill in application of supervisory techniques and effective communication and interpersonal relations.
- Ability to plan, assign, direct, coordinate and review the work of others.
- Ability to operate powered and manual equipment and tools.
Must possess a Level IV New Mexico State Wastewater Operator’s Certificate.
Must possess a valid driver’s license and obtain a City of Santa Fe driving permit.
Employee may be called out in emergency situations. Must have a telephone in the residence or be available by an equally communication approved by supervisor.
Work is performed outside and inside, sometimes in inclement weather. Incumbents are exposed to toxic gases and fumes and to infections and diseases; required to lift and/or move 50 pounds; to climb ladders and stairs; to bend, twist, squat, stoop, kneel, and reach. Requires manual dexterity, good hearing and visual acuity. Irregular working hours, holiday work and 24-hour standby may be required.
The City of Santa Fe is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the American’s with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
VETERAN’S HIRING INITIATIVE
Pursuant to City of Santa Fe Resolution No. 2013-079, the City of Santa Fe Human Resources Department (HRD) has implemented a Veterans’ Hiring Initiative policy in order to provide opportunities for veterans who meet or exceed the minimum qualifications for city employment to obtain City employment. The Governing Body does not guarantee that a veteran shall be hired for the position being applied for, only that the veteran will be given an interview; and, it does not intend to supersede or modify any collective bargaining agreement that is currently in place with the City of Santa Fe.
Job applicants who are veterans who have an honorable discharge from the military or are members of the National Guard or Reserve who have successfully completed basic training, must use the Veteran Certification Form to identify themselves and then must attach a copy of their DD214 or DD215 and/or their proof of current Active, Guard or Reserve enlistment in order to certify their status.
TO APPLY: Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the city application form. Submit City of Santa Fe Application by one of the following methods: Fill out application at Human Resources Department, City Hall, 200 Lincoln Avenue, Santa Fe, NM; mail application to P.O. Box 909, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-0909; or fax application to (505) 955-6810. Applications may be downloaded from our website: www.santafenm.gov; or apply online at www.santafenm.gov. Applications become public record upon receipt and may be made available for public inspection upon request.
When required of the position, attach a copy of certification(s) or license(s). Copies of high school diploma/GED & college degree must be provided at time of interview. Pre-placement physical exams are required for some positions. Incomplete applications may delay or exclude consideration of your application.