Water Crew Foreman
Directs skilled and semi-skilled workers in all aspects of maintenance, construction, repair and operation of the municipal water distribution and wastewater collection systems.
Provides direct support to the Water/Wastewater Director and/or Supervisor by assisting with the supervision and management of all full-time and seasonal positions in the Water Department and is responsible for the motivation, positive direction, coordination, and evaluation of all subordinate employees.
Supports and assists the Water/Wastewater Director and or Supervisor in hiring Water/Wastewater employees; develops and keeps current job descriptions; develops performance expectations; identifies the essential functions, job knowledge, skills and abilities required for success in these positions; responds to questions and ensures the completion of background checks; assigns work shifts and completes schedules two weeks in advance or as directed.
Assist Water Wastewater Director and or Supervisor with the supervision of employees and evaluates team performance; provides opportunities for the advanced training of employees; coaches, counsels, and motivates employees for exceptionalism; investigates complaints or subordinate performance concerns; recognizes exceptional job performance of employees and identifies poor or below average employee performance by implementing disciplinary action as needed in consultation with Finance Director and/or the City Manager and Human Resources.
Provides leadership by example and through consistent positive management of the Water department; makes proper decisions; resolves problems; assists with the development of departmental procedures; maintains required records/files; conducts regular staff meetings and represents the Water/Wastewater department during internal and external meetings.
Works under the general supervision of the Water/Wastewater Director and Supervisor
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures that all City and Division rules and regulations are adhered to.
- Ensures that safety procedures and construction standards are being followed.
- Provides on-the-job training to other employees in all areas of repair, construction, maintaining and operating a water distribution and wastewater collection system and rebuilding and maintaining pumps and motors.
- Performs standby and alternate duties.
- Handles customer complaints in a respectful and timely manner.
- Keeps inventory, time and material records.
- Supervises crew to operate, maintain and repair water and sewer lines.
- Keeps inventory, time and material records.
The above listed duties are intended to be general in nature and level of work performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Five (5) years of related experience, of which at least two (2) years were of supervisory in nature.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to maintain a pleasant working relationship with fellow employees and the general public.
- Must have computer skills in working with Microsoft Office Suite, Excel, and PC application and email software.
- Working knowledge and skill in use of methods, materials and tools used in the construction, maintenance and operation of a water distribution and wastewater collection system as well as pumps and electrical motors.
- Working knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions dealing with water distribution and wastewater collection system.
- Ability to effectively instruct subordinates in the proper methods, procedures and safety precautions of water and sewer line repair.
- Skill in operating listed tools and equipment.
- Skill in the applications of basic First Aid; including CPR.
- Ability to follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written English.
- Must possess good hearing and sight (aided or unaided).
- Must possess New Mexico Class “B” Commercial Drivers License.
- Water Supply Level II and a Collections Systems I certification or able to obtain them within one (1) year of hire.
- Must successfully pass the pre-employment drug and alcohol screening test, and the post offer employment medical examination.
- Employee required to work rotating on-call schedule. May also be called out after working hours, weekends, and holidays.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS AND MATERIALS:
- Equipment and tools typically used: Division vehicles, portable or mobile radio, various hand tools and when needed, appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Materials and products handled: All materials dealing with the construction and maintenance of electric distribution lines or equipment; all chemicals dealing with the maintenance of Division vehicles and the general housekeeping of Division buildings and grounds; including aerosol insecticides.
This list is general not all inclusive
- All essential duties are performed outdoors with exposure to natural weather conditions with extremes in temperatures.
- Works closely with other employees.
- Exposure to various fumes, odors, mists or dusts.
- Exposure to moderate noise levels.
- Job hazards or potential job hazards include cuts, bruises, animal or insect bites or strings, sprains, strains, broken bones, exposure to electrical shock and operation of Division vehicles or equipment, falling objects.
- Duties involve walking or standing for long periods of time on even, uneven, hard, soft, wet or dry surfaces.
- Duties may involve lifting of objects up to 100 pounds.
- Essential duties are normally performed during weekdays, although emergencies may require working all hours of the day or night, including weekends and holidays.
The work environment characteristics described above are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accomidations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions when notified of said disability.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be requested.
This Position Description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.