Sr. Industrial Waste Inspector
SR. INDUSTRIAL WASTE INSPECTOR
Pay Range: $23.41 – $31.60/Hr (pay negotiable based on experience)
Position Close Date: Sunday, June 10, 2018
The City of Chandler Public Works & Utilities Department is currently seeking qualified individuals to fill the position of SR. INDUSTRIAL WASTE INSPECTOR. The hours are Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
The primary function of an employee in this class is to perform the more complex and technical duties associated with the City’s Industrial Pretreatment Program including performing field testing, sampling, and inspections of complex commercial and industrial facilities to determine compliance with federal, state, and City regulations and permit requirements for wastewater discharge. An employee in this class trains others inspectors in new methodology and use of equipment. The employee in this class serves as a technical information source for other inspectors and industries operating in the City of Chandler.
Essential Functions (List not exhaustive):
• Participates in the daily operations relating to the purpose and objectives of the City’s Industrial Pretreatment Program and determines correct federal categorical classification for industries requesting permits;
• Communicates with and educates businesses and industries concerning wastewater discharge including providing information on federal classification and discharge regulations as well as requirements of the City’s Industrial Pretreatment Program;
• Responds to complaints, inquiries, and information requests from the public, city officials and departments, developers and contractors, business owners, and other interested and affected parties regarding discharge permit regulations, inspections, inspection schedules, and compliance;
• Performs inspections for more complex industrial locations involving complicated mass based discharge calculations for compliance with federal, state, City and other applicable discharge permit requirements;
• Performs enforcement duties for noncompliance with discharge regulations and reporting requirements, including issuing notices of violations and correspondence;
• Recommends corrections for defects and inadequacies that require corrections to comply with applicable city ordinances and codes;
• Documents inspections, including violations, and all records including inspection and sampling reports and correspondence with affected parties in compliance efforts;
• Develops and maintains inspection, sampling, and permit records, enforcement actions, and computer databases including the Pretreatment Database (Prewin) and presents oral and written reports as required;
• Canvasses the City and conducts field investigations of new and existing businesses, restaurants, and industries; determines appropriate permit type, conducts inspections, and performs follow-up inspections to ensure that corrective action has been taken if required;
• Reviews plans and specifications for commercial and industrial buildings and related construction involving installation, repair, replacement, and alteration for compliance with applicable codes and regulations;
• Arranges meetings for review of site plans and determines appropriate compliance monitoring locations for industrial waste discharge points;
• Writes complex industrial discharge permits involving complex operations and multiple compliance points;
• Provides assistance to other inspectors in preparation of permits to industries;
• Assists with training inspectors; instructs inspectors in work techniques and the proper use and maintenance of all equipment.
• Associate’s Degree or 60 credit hours towards degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, or a related field required; and
• Three (3) years’ experience in physical or chemical testing, monitoring of industrial discharges, wastewater collections systems, and the treatment of industrial wastes; and
• Hazwoper 40 Hour Certification within six (6) months of hire or promotion date; and
• Valid Arizona Driver’s License with acceptable driving record; or
• Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
• ADEQ Grade II Wastewater Treatment Operator and/or Wastewater Collections Operator Certification;
This position is a regular full-time position and is subject to a six (6) month probationary period. A register of qualified candidates will be active for four (4) months should another position become available.
The City of Chandler will conduct a Universal background check as a condition of employment. In addition a pre-employment MVRRS (Motor Vehicle Record Request System) check as a condition of employment; all offers are contingent upon acceptable results.
The City of Chandler is committed to Equal Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodations.
Please apply online at www.chandleraz.gov/jobs by Sunday, June 10, 2018, 11:59 pm