Human Resources Department
Pueblo of Tesuque
20 TP 828
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87506
POSITION TITLE: Utility Operator
DEPARTMENT: Utility Authority POSITION STATUS: Full-Time
PERIOD TO APPLY: Open Until Filled FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SUPERVISOR: Utility Manager LOCATION: Tesuque Pueblo
SALARY RANGE: $16.00-$22.00
The Pueblo of Tesuque Utility Authority is looking for a Utility Operator to assist in operations and maintenance of drinking water, wastewater, and solid waste systems. Ideal candidate will be a fast learner with a strong work ethic, as well as skilled in trouble shooting problems, and comfortable
working with pumps and motors, includes fixing broken distribution lines.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Operations and Maintenance
· Assists with operating and maintaining the delivery of safe drinking water to customers including
pump houses, distribution lines, water tanks, gate valves, fire hydrants, etc.
· Collects and delivers water/wastewater compliant samples to labs.
· Assists with monthly water meter reading.
· Performs and documents preventative maintenance.
· Assists with operating and maintaining the wastewater collection system, including a wastewater treatment plant(s), lift stations, sewer lines, manholes, grinder pumps, lagoons, etc.
· Assists with operating and maintaining a small solid waste transfer station.
· May operate a variety of conventional and specialized vehicles on-site including loader, backhoe, and other heavy equipment.
· Responds to emergencies when required.
· Some office work required, including attending meetings and proficient use of a computer, printer,
and hand-held radio read water meter reader.
· Treats all water users as customers and treats all customers with respect.
· Promptly assists customers when they are experiencing a water issue or have a concern.
· Uses customer interactions as an opportunity to inform the customer about their water system.
· Has experience with deescalating, mediating, and resolving disputes in a professional manner.
· High School Diploma or GED is required upon hiring.
· Work experience and certification in water/wastewater maintenance and operation is preferred.
· Documented relevant education in automotive mechanics, electronics, plumbing, welding, or related field also preferred.
· Level I Certification in Water or Wastewater is required within 12-months of hire. Expectation of additional certification with continued employment.
· Must possess and maintain a valid New Mexico driver’s license and have a clean driving record and reliable transportation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Knowledge of the methods and techniques for maintaining and repairing drinking
water and wastewater plant equipment, machinery, and related facilities.
· Must be able to follow verbal and written directions.
· Basic mathematics.
· Occupational hazards and safety practices in the drinking water/wastewater maintenance field.
· Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable
· Operate powered and manual equipment and tools.
· Operate a variety of maintenance equipment in a safe and effective manner.
· Familiarity with technical manuals, blueprints, drawings, and diagrams.
· Work is performed both indoors and out, sometimes in inclement weather or on slippery
· May be exposed to dirt, dust, fumes, loud noises, and vibrations. Standing and walking may be
on uneven surfaces or unstable ground.
· Working in sensitive and/or hazardous areas is common. Situations where safety-toe shoes,
safety goggles, gloves, or protective face shields are needed may occur.
· May be exposed to chemicals (including chlorine).
· Must be able to lift and/or move 50 pounds; physical exertion is required, including extensive
walking, standing, bending, stooping, kneeling, twisting, and reaching.
· Work is performed both indoor and outdoor. Occasional evening, weekend, and/or holiday work
may be required.
· Incumbent is required to be on rotating call to respond to emergencies.
Note: This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
NATIVE AMERICAN PREFERENCE
SUBMIT APPLICATION AND RESUME TO:
PUEBLO OF TESUQUE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT
20 TP 828, SANTA FE, NM 87506
FAX (505) 982-2331
OR ONLINE AT: firstname.lastname@example.org